Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pushing the Nokia N900 to the limit ( overclocking )


2:22 PM | ,

I am not quite sure what the limit is for the Nokia N900, since I have been pushing it for quite some time, but I think I have reached a milestone in numbers. Currently my setup is:
  • Version 20.2010.36.2 (PR1.3).
  • 9 unique desktops.
  • 81 desktop shortcuts.
  • 22 loaded widgets (CPU x 3, Touch Search, Desktop Browser x 9, Conversations, Queen Beacon x 4, Calendar, Forca Weather, OMWeather, Feeding it).
  • 95 applications in the menu.
  • Overclocked to 1000mhz and stable.
  •  Overclocking the N900 makes all the difference in performance, although it can cause the device to be quite unstable if the wrong configuration is used, so it takes a lot of patience and fiddling to get the right set up.
    Some of the resources I have used to date for overclocking:
  • Jakiman’s N900 Overclocking Guide – This is a brilliant guide and works exactly as the steps suggest.
  • Titan – more configuration options. Very useful if you want to add your own settings.
  • Tonism – offers the latest starving configuration for titan kernel!
  • Jakiman offers some extra steps for setting the same MIN and MAX settings (e.g. 1000 1000). These are the settings I applied after I successfully completed step 1 and they work brilliantly. My N900 is super fast now and surprisingly very stable. I managed to open 56 applications (before it started to falter).
  • Queen Beacon Widget – This widget is amazing in it’s own right but is key to the over clocking process.
  • Bakuur has a complete step by step guide on overclocking and using the Queen Beacon Widget (with diagrams). – Very cool!
  • Jakiman’s name pops upagain and here is his guide to using Queen Beacon and overclocking. – This is what I used and it works!
  • Lehto is another cool customer overclocking his N900 and reporting on the different speeds achieved.
  • Finally all these brilliant people can be found at Maemo.org in the forums sharing their knowledge and it should be the place where you go first to read up on Overclocking the N900. This topic has managed to generate 495 pages so far, which just goes to show how popular this topic is.
Below are ten large (content heavy) websites that I loaded up with ease with my 1000Mhz setup

Leave A Comment