Saturday, June 5, 2010

How to Fix Windows Vista Slow Network Transfer


8:37 PM |

http://theochem.org/~andreas/images/network.jpg
I hope this little tip can save someone hours of headache from Windows Vista transferring data at extremely slow speeds over a network.




1. NIC settings (half & full duplex) were wreaking havoc on LAN transfers
2. My Linksys WRT54GL router was the cause
3. Windows Vista’s ‘Remote Differential Compression’ was causing the slow transfer rate
4. Windows Vista is just painfully slow… live with it

1. NIC settings (half & full duplex) were wreaking havoc on LAN transfers
I spent some time manually setting NIC transfer modes on both machines. I rotated through these settings but did not see a significant benefit.
  • 10mbps / sec (Half Duplex)
  • 10mbps / sec (Full Duplex)
  • 100mbps / sec (Half Duplex)
  • 10mbps / sec (Full Duplex)
  • Auto Negotiate
2. My Linksys WRT54GL router was the cause
Failing to locate a duplex setting on this unit, I quickly determined that this may not be the culprit for the slow network transfers. If memory serves, I think a 3rd party firmware like HyperWRT or Thibor is required to adjust advanced internal settings on the WRT54GL router and I am only running the official Linksys firmware.
3. Windows Vista’s ‘Remote Differential Compression’ was causing the slow transfer rate
I disabled ‘Remote Differential Compression’ with no success.
Start>>Control Panel>>Programs and Features
Click on ‘Turn windows features on or off’ on the left side of the screen
Unchecked ‘Remote Differential Compression’
4. Windows Vista is just painfully slow… live with it
I definitely did not want to wait 6 days to complete 6 Gigs of data transfer so I threw this out pretty quickly. As I mentioned, something was definitely wrong as transferring the same files from XP to XP went pretty quickly.
The Fix for Windows Vista Slow Network Transfer
Then it dawned on me. Maybe some firewall setting was causing the network slow down! I went directly to disable Windows Firewall and found that it was already disabled. I then attempted to disable the 30-day free McAfee trial security suite thingamajig that was bundled with the new Dell. For some reason, I was unable to locate an option to temporarily disable the firewall. Regardless, I just uninstalled it.
Sure enough. After removing McAfee, LAN transfer speeds went from 225KB/s to over 5 MB/s. That’s more than a 20 times increase in transfer speed. Actual transfer time dropped from 6 days plus to just over 45 minutes. Not too shabby for transferring 6.5 Gigs of data across a network. I am sure there are other tweaks that can be made to further increase speeds but for now, this is very acceptable while I load data from the old machine to the new. Look for a full review of the new Dell once I put it under heavy, day-to-day use.
The next time you are experiencing slow network speeds, you might try and disable firewall settings. If that doesn’t work, uninstalling McAfee might!

Leave A Comment